You owe a lot to your mouthguard. It keeps your pearly whites safe and healthy as you do what you love. Whether it’s football, boxing, mixed martial arts or any other contact sports, your mouthguard makes sure your mouth, teeth, gums and tongue are kept free from damage or injury.
However, wearing them regularly without proper cleaning can pose a risk. This is because mouthguards can serve as breeding grounds for bacteria, moulds, and yeast.
Here are simple ways to care for and clean your sports mouthguard:
- Brush your mouthguard with toothbrush and toothpaste regularly, especially after use. This removes and build-up of debris and saliva.
- Soak mouthguards in antimicrobial solutions to reduce the amount of bacteria and other organisms from taking refuge in there.
- Avoid exposing your mouthguard in extreme temperatures to prevent it from being brittle or deformed
- Let your mouthguard dry thoroughly before storing.
- Keep your mouthguard in its protective case when not in use.
Book an appointment today
Book with a local dentist that takes the time to treat you. We’re proud to represent our Caloundra & Currimundi community with affordable prices which we list online.
Give us a ring on 07 5358 0413 or book online using the button below.
- Be sure to also clean your case regularly with warm soapy water.
- Replace your mouthguard regularly, especially when cracks start to appear.
- Avoid the habit of biting down on your mouthguard as this will create tiny holes and crack where bacteria, mould, and fungi can form.
When wearing your mouthguard, remember to also avoid drinking or eating sugary and staining food. This can stay in your mouthguard and therefore increase your teeth’s risk for cavities and discolouration.
Do you need a mouthguard? Have one fitted to you by your nearest Caloundra dentist. Book an appointment today.